Saint George by Donatello
The sculpture of St. George is one of the fourteen bronze statues depicting the protectors of the Arts in Florence that adorn the exterior of the church of Orsanmichele. St. George, depicted as a warrior, was commissioned to Donatello by Arte dei Corazzai e Spadai, that cerved it in marble around 1415. In 1891 has been replaced by a bronze copy, and the marble was brought to the Bargello Museum. In this masterpiece Donatello has been able to create a sculpture full of energy and vitality hold back in his static pose, but clearly visible.
All the Classical and Renaissance art executed by the Marinelli Foundry is created through moulds made directly on the original Works of Art at the beginning of the last century. These original moulds are owned by and a part of the Ferdinando Marinelli Artistic Foundry heritage.